Ten Key Questions for Reauthorization
John Dean, Principal, Washington Partners, LLC:
- Are college costs out of control?
- Does the availability of federal student aid facilitate schools raising
tuition and fees?
- Why don’t more students go to college?
- Are current federal aid programs rational in terms of allocating scare
federal resources to produce the best outcomes – more students
going to college and graduating?
- Is student loan debt excessive for a significant number of student-borrowers?
- Is the consolidation loan program needed by most borrowers who use
- Is unbridled competition in the FFEL program good for schools?
- Is the FFEL industry getting too concentrated for its own good?
- Why is the FFEL program so complicated and does it need to be that
- Who should get the profits from student loans?
Adapted from comments made in early March 2004.